Finding the best mattress for a good night’s sleep can be a daunting affair. There are literally thousands of different mattresses that you can buy in Singapore. How do you know a mattress is right for you? How much should you pay? What brand is the best? Not to worry, we will answer all these questions inside. By the end of this article, you’ll be a mattress expert.
There are many mattress brands in Singapore. So what we have done is to do in-depth research into each of them, find out what they are known for and classify them into price categories. We will start with the latest trend of “bed-in-a-box” mattresses and move on to value-for-money brands and finally premium brands. Continue reading to find out which are the best mattresses that you can buy in Singapore today!
- Only German-designed Hybrid Mattress in Singapore
- Hypercool™ Cooling Gel Memory Foam
- Individual Pocket Springs
- True Motion Isolation Technology
- Excellent Spinal Support
- Better Support Than Foam, More Comfort Than Spring
The Origin Hybrid Mattress comes as our top pick, with unbelievable value and features.
If you’re looking for a mattress that’s truly value-for-money and comes packed with high-quality materials, then the Origin Hybrid Mattress will surely be the choice for you. An up-and-coming brand that’s designed in Germany, the Origin Hybrid stands out with its superior construction, materials and value it offers.
Being a Hybrid Mattress, it claims to be better than both memory foam and spring mattresses by bringing the best properties from each one together. The Origin Hybrid’s unique cooling Origin® Airflow Tencel cover and its cooling gel memory foam layer means it’s perfectly suited for Singapore’s hotter climate. Its movement isolation technology also means that you won’t wake when your partner gets up or fidgets around.
You get to try out the mattress in their 120-Night Trial, which also comes with a 15 – Year Warranty. Additionally, Origin also provides a FREE 2-Hour Delivery, so for those urgently in need of a mattress, it’s definitely an added reason to purchase.
Aside from ordering online, you can also head down to their showroom to try out their mattress – for those who want to test it out in person.
Amazing value, superb quality, great warranty and super-quick delivery, what’s more to ask for when shopping for a mattress? Click here to find out more about Origin Mattress on their website!
Highest Quality Mattress for the Highest Quality Sleep
- Best for insomnia, neck & back pain
- Designed by Orthopaedics
- Originates from Switzerland
- Made with MemoryCloud® – the most cooling & therapeutic memory foam in the market
- 100-night free trial
Winter is taking the market by storm ever since their release of the Classic MemoryCloud® memory foam mattress. MemoryCloud® is a proprietary blend of memory foam that has been found to be more cooling, more comfortable and provide better spinal support than all other available foams. It was designed in Switzerland, and thankfully the founders decided to first introduce their invention to the world through Singapore.
Winter’s mattress comes with a special 3D-printed foam structure that simulates getting a massage – promoting blood flow and inducing a deeper, more restful sleep. The increase in blood circulation combined with the superior support lets users sleep easy, eventually easing most pains and aches they’ve accumulated over the years.
The mattress has also been specially designed to absorb and circulate any excess heat away from the user to maintain the perfect temperature for restorative sleep. There has been an overwhelming number of reports from customers claiming the wonders of this mattress, with many sharing that they no longer wake up in the middle of the night, their insomnia has improved or that their neck and back pains have “magically” disappeared.
The Swiss designers, known for being meticulous, made sure every detail was as perfect as possible – resulting in a beautiful & functional mattress. The cover can be removed with a zipper, making it easy to take off, wash and put back on. Also, this mattress is equipped with Motion Insulation™ technology to absorb any movement by either partner, ensuring that the other doesn’t wake up.
Winter is the most exciting premium mattress out right now. And best of all? They offer a 100-night free trial. If sleep is important to you, and you like being as well-rested as possible to tackle the day ahead, then definitely give Winter mattress a try either by ordering online or visiting their showroom!
- Plush and comfortable pillowtop
- Excellent spinal support
- Individual pocket springs
- Premium materials with value-for-money pricing
- 100-nights risk-free trial
When you hear HipVan, what comes to mind is trendy and quality designer furniture at honest and fair prices. The brand launched their first mattress, the LEVITATE mattress, in 2016 and quickly amassed a loyal customer base that swears by them.
What we really liked about the mattress is its use of premium materials comparable to luxury mattress counterparts but only at a fraction of the price. It uses a luxurious combination of memory foam and latex which helps absorb muscle tension and relieve body aches. Fun fact – latex is an expensive material that is commonly found in more premium mattresses; it is like the caviar of mattress materials.
LEVITATE ranks a high 10 on the plush comfort scale. This is due to the premium sewn-in pillow top which adds extra comfort to this mattress. For firmness, the mattress ranks 7 on the scale and will definitely provide solid spine support. This is a result of the high quantity of individual pocket springs which forms its mattress base. It might be good to note that individual pocket springs also reduce motion transfer, making LEVITATE a suitable mattress to be shared with a fidgety partner.
Another of our favourite feature has to be the Adaptive® fabric used by HipVan. The cooling properties and breathability of this fabric act as a wick, allowing you to enjoy comfortable and sweat-free nights by dispersing your body heat from the surface of the mattress.
Our verdict? If you are looking for the most value-for-money mattress, LEVITATE is definitely the one for you. They have managed to achieve an attractive balance between quality and price; a sweet spot for customers. The mattresses also come with a long 12-year guarantee and 100-nights free trial. A great final touch is the affordable mattress disposal service that HipVan provides for your existing mattress; this start-to-finish service guarantees an effortless and seamless mattress shopping experience.
- Supportive orthopaedic Bonnell springs
- Water and dirt repellent Teflon fabric
- Anti-bacterial, dust-mite & allergy
- SPECIAL PRICE for Lazada’s Birthday on 27 March 2020!
The Euro Coil Spinal Care Mattress is a value-for-money mattress with very good reviews online. On Lazada, more than 80 positive reviews are praising the bed for how comfortable it is. With a firmness rating of 7 out of 10, this mattress will suit the preference of a large majority of people.
This mattress has a support base of Orthopedic Bonnell springs. These springs offer a good balance of comfort and support. Additionally, another plus point is that these springs are relatively inexpensive which means this mattress is priced very affordably. The exterior of this mattress is covered by Teflon fabric. Teflon gives the mattress protection from liquids, dirt and dust. You can keep this mattress clean and hygienic very easily thanks to this Teflon fabric.
If you want a value-for-money mattress that is highly-reviewed by its buyers, definitely check out the Euro Coil Spinal Care Mattress on Lazada!
Seahorse mattresses are really popular in Singapore since they started in 1987. They are known for their value-for-money mattresses that cost under $2000 and even less for lower-tiered models. A Seahorse mattress is durable and high-quality, you can expect to use it for close to 10 years if you buy a mid-end model.
In their retail outlets, you can often find great deals as they have sales very frequently. So you won’t need to wait for a furniture fair or expo to snag a good deal. Some of their offerings include the Seahorse Diamond, Healthy and Everlasting range.
You can find Seahorse mattress for less than $300, but we recommend getting a mid-end that costs at least $600 and more. Click here to check out the Seahorse mattresses available on Lazada!
Maxcoil is another full-range mattress brand. You can find a wide variety of mattress types, quality and prices. Here are all the ranges of Maxcoil mattress available in Singapore now – Sleep on Air, FORREST, Aloe Vera, Bamboo, Biorytmic, OxygenPlus, Q-Dry&Soft, Silk, Silvercare. While all these models can be found in Singapore, some of them are exclusive to certain retailers.
Maxcoil mattress can be found for as low as $400 to as high as $800. Check out Maxcoil Mattresses on Lazada today!
- Made with 100% natural organic latex
- Customizable to fit your preferences
- 100-nights free trial
European Bedding is a premium bedding store in Tiong Bahru that specializes in Heveya Natural Organic Latex Mattresses. The inherent elasticity of natural latex delivers a wonderful sense of comfort and support that lasts longer than other mattress materials.
European Bedding recognizes the demand for a sleeping system which focuses on good back support and individual needs, rather than fancy looks alone. Their Heveya latex mattresses come in multiple thickness and firmness levels to cater to individual comfort. The mattress can even be customised to have dual firmness within a single mattress cover (eg: a King-Size mattress with one firmer and one softer side) to fit each partner’s sleeping preference. Therefore, you won’t have to compromise on sleep comfort!
Furthermore, a Heveya latex mattress is perfect for Singapore’s humid weather as it is breathable and naturally mould and dust mite resistant. Together with a removable cover for easy cleaning, a Heveya mattress promises you a comfortable and safe sleep. The people behind European Bedding are so confident of their proposition that they offer 100 nights free trial on their Heveya mattresses. Stop by their cosy showroom and let their sleep consultants do their magic!
PS: Need an odd-sized bed? They can even customize mattress sizes for a yacht or extra wide family bed! Find out more about the Heveya Mattress on European Bedding’s website today!
King Koil mattresses are sold in more than 70 countries around the world. In Singapore, most people would have heard of King Koil. It is a recognizable brand that has a reputation for good-quality mattresses that are slightly pricer but still affordable.
King Koil has a wide range of mattresses to choose from. Whether you are looking for a pocketed spring, foam, latex or gel mattress, you’ll be able to find it. Some of their more popular ranges include the Premier, Posture Bond, Natural Comfort, Ortho Care, Mr America, Doctor Firm, Thermic Elite and Classic Saville.
Prices for King Koil mattress range from $400 all the way to $2000 and up. Click here to check out the latest price for King Koil Mattress on Lazada!
Check Price on Lazada
Sleepy Night is a brand of mattresses by Sommeil Terre. They are cheap and pretty good value-for-money. Most of their mattresses are coil and spring systems – Coil, Marshall, Bonnell. However, they do also carry foam mattresses.
Some of their more popular range of mattresses include the Royal Monarch, Alaska, Comfort Pedic, Classic Que, Norwegian, Royal Pedic and Century Plush. Regardless of which range you choose, you will be getting a value-for-money mattress that will provide you with the right support for a restful night.
Prices for Sleepy Night mattresses start at $148 and go all the way to $2000 and up. Check out their range of mattress on Lazada!
Check Price on Lazada
Found in 1881, Sealy has a long tradition of producing high-end premium beds. Sealy Posturepedic range of mattress started in the 1950s with close collaboration with top orthopaedic surgeons. Sealy uses science to analyze what makes a good bed for good sleep. Every component added to a Sealy bed is well-thought out.
It can be hard to compare prices for Sealy mattresses. They are often sold in different stores under different names. Primarily, most go for the Sealy Posturepedic range of mattresses that include the Palatial Crest, Exquisite, Enhance, Aspire and Hybrid.
The key selling point of Sealy Posturepedic mattresses is their superior support. Using Responsive Support Technology, you get 3 layers of support right when you lie down on the luxurious bed. Say goodbye to backaches!
On Lazada, Metro is selling the Sealy Mattresses from $1888. Check them out!
Check Price on Lazada
Tempur was developed in the 1970s for space missions. It provides support and comfort for astronauts during their launch into space. Now, you can also feel the same weightless and comfort right in your own bedroom. After all, if it’s good enough for space missions, surely it’s good enough for you.
Even though a typical Tempur mattress is comfortable for most, they have come up with 4 different types of mattresses to customize it to each individual’s preference further. You can choose from the Hybrid, Original, Cloud or Sensation mattresses.
Tempur mattresses start from $2000 to $8000. You can find the more affordable range of Tempur mattresses on Lazada starting from $2249!
You may have seen local actor Desmond Tan as the spokesperson for Haylee. Or you may have seen the Haylee trucks driving around Singapore delivering their value-for-money mattresses. Either way, it is clear that Haylee is now a dominant player in Singapore’s mattress market.
Haylee mattresses are a 6 on the firmness scale, making them a universal comfort mattress. If you don’t know what firmness you’ll like, a 6 is a pretty safe bet. You will feel cool and comfortable all night with the cooling gel layer – great for the Singapore weather. With high-density memory foam, you can expect solid support for your back and spine. The memory foam also absorbs any movement so sleeping with a fidgety partner is not a problem.
Similarly to Noa, you can also get a 100-night sleep trial with Haylee mattresses. It is also covered by a 10-year warranty. What we also like is that you can get your Haylee mattress as soon as within 2 hours if delivery and stock conditions are right. No more waiting weeks for your mattress.
13. Noa Mattress
Noa was founded in Canada but has since entered the markets of Singapore, Australia and Hong Kong. Today, if you are considering buying a mattress online, you will likely have heard of Noa.
Noa offers a 100-night sleep trial with free shipping and free returns. Their mattress carries a 15-year warranty so you can expect them to last. A Noa mattress is made up of 7 different layers – Tencel, natural latex, gel infused memory foam, transition foam, pocket springs, base support foam and base cover. All these combine to become a mattress that you’ll love.
The Noa mattress starts at $699 for Single, $799 for Super Single, $999 For Queen and $1199 for King. Click here to see their beds in action!
14. Baton Sleep Mattress
Baton Sleep offers the Regular and Hybrid mattresses. The difference between the two is primarily their firmness level and that the Hybrid uses memory foam instead of regular foam. The Hybrid mattress has a firmness level of 8 while the Regular is 9. Unless you like a hard mattress, go for the Baton Sleep Hybrid.
One thing we really like about Baton Sleep is that their mattresses are Certipur certified. That shows that there are zero harmful chemicals on or inside their mattresses. For something we come into contact with for one-third of our lives, that’s really important. Baton Sleep offers a 30-day trial for their beds. While that may not be as much as Noa and Haylee, 30 days is still enough time to try out a bed fully. So it is just a minor negative point.
Baton Sleep’s Hybrid mattress starts at $590 for Single, $690 for Super Single, $950 for Queen and $1150 for King.
15. Woosa Mattress
Woosa is a Singaporean company that sells mattresses made in Belgium. Their bed-in-a-box offerings are not cheap compared to competitors. However, you will be getting a quality product, that is for sure. If you don’t agree, simply return it within 100 days and get a full refund. No risk, all gain.
Here is what makes up a Woosa mattress. A Belgium polyester-blended cover, 4.5cm of hypoallergenic latex foam, 4.5cm of high-density memory foam, 4.5cm of support foam and an 11cm foundational foam layer. Sounds like a good night’s sleep to us.
Woosa mattresses start at $1199 for Single, $1299 for Super Single, $1499 for Queen and $1699 for King.
16. IKEA Mattress
Almost everyone has bought a piece of furniture from IKEA, but what about mattresses and beds? Unsurprisingly, IKEA mattresses are pretty popular in Singapore. One of the reasons for the popularity is their wide range of prices – you can get a mattress for as little as $169. However, there are also more mid-range options, which means IKEA appeals to many.
So, are IKEA mattresses comfortable? Honestly, they aren’t bad or aren’t that good either. If you want a quick mattress buy and aren’t picky, you won’t be disappointed. They have spring, foam and latex mattresses to choose from. One point you have to note when buying an IKEA mattress is that their dimensions do not follow the standard Singapore mattress dimensions. That means it may not fit into any bed frame that you buy, unless it is from IKEA. Our recommendation is to go for a mattress that is made by a mattress specialist, instead of IKEA.
IKEA mattresses start at $169 while an entire mattress and bed frame set will go for around $1500 for a Queen sized one.
17. Simmons Mattress
With more than 100 years of history, Simmons knows what goes into creating the perfect night of rest. 5-star hotels in Singapore and all over the world tap into their experience by equipping rooms with Simmon beds. You may recognize names like Shangri-La, Marriott, Marina Bay Sands and The Ritz Carlton.
The Simmons Beautyrest series of mattresses is probably the one you’ll be looking at. The Beautyrest beds are known for their Advanced Pocketed Coil technology which limits motion transfer. The Coil on Coil structure makes it one of the best mattresses for support. Simmons pillow tops are a thing of luxury, made from cashmere, wool and silk. There are a whole load of other technological innovations in each mattress. The most important thing is, does Simmons Beautyrest help make sleep better? Yes, it does.
Simmons Beautyrest mattresses start at $1900 all the way to $10000.
18. Getha Mattress
Getha is a Malaysian mattress brand. When you first hear that, you may not associate it with premium mattresses. However, Getha has been around for more than 50 years and in that time, built a reputation for quality beds not just in Malaysia, but all over the world.
Getha is known for its 100% natural latex mattresses. Latex offers the right balance between support and comfort. Natural latex also means there are no harmful chemicals or substances added to save costs. That is part of the reason for their premium pricing.
The range of Getha mattress includes the Dream Kingdom, Nature First, Compass Luxury, Togetha Luxury, Silk Luxury, Icon Luxury, Monako, Intercontinental and Genetics. Getha mattresses start at $1500 all the way to $20000.
19. Serta Mattress
Serta is the most popular mattress brand in the USA. It is also one the of 3S of premium mattress that includes Sealy and Simmons. Serta’s tagline is “The World’s Best Mattress”, and millions of sleepers around the world agree.
Some of Serta’s collections include the Constellation, Royal Diamond, New Sophistication and Willow Spring. Prices range from $2000 and up.
Check out these other articles!
- 8 Cheap Mattresses in Singapore From Just $129
- The Best Foldable Mattresses For a Good Night Sleep in Singapore
- The 9 Best Sofa Beds in Singapore
- The 18 Best Pillows in Singapore For Good Sleep
- 8 Best Bed Sheets in Singapore That Are Comfortable and Cooling
“Bed-in-a-box” / Sleep trial mattress brands
The concept of a “bed-in-a-box” has been revolutionary for the entire mattress industry. Basically, it aims to provide customers with more affordable bedding choices that you can actually try before committing to it. Most of these “bed-in-a-box” companies give you 100 days to try out their beds in your own home.
This trend started in 2014 in the United States and the United Kingdom. One of the biggest brands right now is Casper. Unfortunately, they do not seem to have an operation in Singapore. Thankfully, there are other “bed-in-a-box” options in Singapore. These mattresses are priced more affordably as it cuts out the need for retail stores and the middleman. Without large markups, you will pay less for better quality.
Comparatively, the traditional mattress shopping experience is going to a retail showroom where you get to try the beds for a minute or two. Those few minutes might not be enough to know whether the bed is suitable for your sleeping style.
100-night sleep trial – Is it legit?
Getting to try out a mattress for 100 nights may seem almost too good to be true. Don’t worry; it is not a scam! You will really get your money back if you don’t like it. So how does it work?
First, you will have to place an order with one of these “bed-in-a-box” sellers, usually online. You do have to make full payment first, although some do offer instalment plans. After this, your mattress will take a couple of days to be delivered to you, depending on availability.
The first day of the trial usually starts on the day of delivery. You can unpack the mattress and try it out from then on. It takes about 2 to 4 weeks to get used to a new bed, especially if it is of different firmness. Since you have 100 nights to try it out, it is definitely enough to know whether the mattress is right for you.
While you have 100 nights, in theory, we recommend that you start the return process sooner if the mattress does not suit you. The faster you return it, the quicker you get your money back. Also, giving them sufficient time notice will allow them to facilitate collecting the mattress back. You do not need to pay anything for them to take the mattress back.
After hearing this, the common question is – where do all the returned mattresses go? Don’t worry; no customer will get a used mattress. All the returned mattresses are usually donated to charities or are disposed of if they are damaged. You won’t be sleeping on a mattress that has been returned.
So yes, the 100 night free trial is legit – if you get it from a reputable brand – like those we have recommended.
Value-for-money and mid-range mattress brands
These mattress brands within this price category are very recognizable. They usually have been in business for many years and are very reputable. They offer mattresses starting at $500 to $2000 and even more. The average purchase price would be around $1500 for a mid-range model. If you want good performance without paying out of your nose, you should definitely consider these brands.
Premium mattress brands
Expect to pay no less than $2000 for these mattresses. In fact, the average purchase price is probably $5000. You may think, that is pretty expensive for a bed. We agree, but there is definitely a market for these premium beds. If you are willing to pay top dollar for a superb night’s sleep, these mattress brands are the ones for you.
Cheap vs expensive mattress
This is one of the first questions that comes to mind when choosing a mattress. There are so many mattress brands and models out there which can cost anything from hundreds to even tens of thousands of dollars. Does that mean the more expensive mattress will give you a better night’s sleep?
The answer to this is – it depends. Generally, a more expensive mattress will have better materials and also the R&D budget for technological innovations. However, is a $10000 mattress 10 times better than a $1000 mattress? The answer is no. There will definitely be marginal differences between the two, but it will not be to the extent of a ten-fold improvement — maybe 10 to 20% difference at most. If you have the budget for an expensive mattress, go for it. But if you don’t, a mid-range one will give you a good night’s sleep as well.
The most improvement you can get is when you upgrade from a $300 – $500 bed to one in the $1000 range. At the extreme low end of the price spectrum, manufacturers have to scrimp and save on premium materials to make enough profit. Quality suffers as a result. When you get a mid-end mattress, they can afford to make it better without cutting too much into their profit margin. In terms of value-for-money, the mid-range mattresses will give you the best sleep for your buck.
What mattress type to choose – Pros and cons
There are many mattress types available in the market. The question is which mattress type is best suited for your sleeping style and preferences. Let’s explore the pros and cons of each mattress type to give you a better idea.
Pros of latex mattress
- Latex mattresses provide both comfort and support. You will feel the stresses of the day fade away as it relieves your pressure points.
- You won’t feel your partner’s twisting and turning. The latex can easily absorb shocks and movements which means you will be undisturbed through the night.
- You will feel cool throughout the night. The open cell structure of latex will allow air to flow freely through it, keep the surface temperatures cool even in the hot weather.
- Latex is an extremely durable material. A latex mattress will be able to last for 10 years or more with proper care.
Cons of latex mattress
- Latex mattresses are expensive. They cost more than spring and memory foam mattresses, often a few hundred dollars more. This higher cost is justified by its durability. As we mentioned, latex mattresses last longer so the cost when averaged out through the years is pretty similar.
- They are heavy. If you plan to move your mattress around regularly, you may find it a chore to carry a latex one.
Pros of air mattress
- You can change the firmness level anytime. There is no way you can do this with any other type of mattresses. This feature is especially useful if you are using it as a guest bed.
- It is cooling to sleep on. Most air mattresses are made of PVC and will not hold heat in. In the Singapore weather, this is a huge benefit.
- You can bring it around easily. Whether moving from one room to another or even a different house, an air mattress is super portable. You can simply deflate it now and inflate it later.
- It is usually cheaper than any other type of mattresses.
Cons of air mattress
- If there is a leak or hole, the air mattress becomes unusable. While air mattresses are relatively sturdy and durable, sharp objects can puncture it. If that happens, it is goodbye.
Memory foam mattress
Pros of memory foam mattress
- Sleeping on a memory foam mattress is very comfortable. The memory foam envelops and cradles you. It absorbs the weight and pressure of your body and distributes it along the entire bed. You’ll almost feel like you are sleeping on a fluffy piece of cloud.
- Absorbs movement of anyone on it. You or your partner will appreciate this because you’ll no longer be disturbed by each other’s turning or movement on the bed.
- No squeaking sounds, unlike some spring mattresses, giving you peaceful and quiet nights.
- You don’t need to flip or turn your memory foam unlike other types of mattresses.
- They last a long time, often longer than spring mattresses. Good quality memory foam mattresses can last for 10 years and more without a drop in quality.
Cons of memory foam mattress
- It can get hot. In hot and humid Singapore, sleeping on a memory foam mattress may not be as cooling. If you turn on the fan or air conditioner, it should alleviate this problem. Also, there is a new type of memory foam mattress – the gel foam mattress. It offers all the benefits of memory foam but claims to reduce the heating issue. You should consider the gel foam mattress if you do not usually sleep with the air conditioner turned on.
- Some memory foams give off a smell that is unpleasant to some. Usually, this smell goes away after airing and using it for a few weeks.
Pocketed spring mattresses
Pros of pocketed spring mattress
- Pocketed spring mattresses provide good support. Springs are grouped into hundreds of different units which are then able to support your weight at all different areas of the bed. You will get a better night sleep with a pocketed spring mattress rather than an innerspring mattress.
- It makes sleeping with your significant other more enjoyable. You won’t be able to feel the movements of your partner as the pocketed coils will negate it.
Cons of pocketed spring mattress
- You need to pay a decent amount to get a good pocketed spring mattress. They are more expensive than innerspring mattresses because of the complexity of construction.
- The quality of a pocketed spring mattress is highly dependent on the type of foam covering it. Good pocketed springs with bad foam do not work well to provide a good night’s sleep. You need both of them to be good. Better foam also means your mattress will be more expensive.
Pros of innerspring mattress
- Innerspring mattresses are very affordable. If you are on a budget, an innerspring mattress is a godsend. It provides decent quality at a cheap price. You can save up to 50% by choosing an innerspring rather than a latex or memory foam mattress.
- It is pretty cooling. As an innerspring mattress has a low density of foam, it retains less heat. You will be able to enjoy a cooler night as a plus point.
- You can find an innerspring mattress almost anywhere, both online and offline stores. Any furniture store, big or small, will carry an innerspring mattress.
Cons of innerspring mattress
- You will feel every turn and squirm. An innerspring mattress does not absorb movements well. If you are sharing your bed with your partner, an innerspring mattress may not be the best choice.
- The innerspring mattress does not adapt to your body’s weight distribution. As a result, it does not provide enough pressure relief. It feels very firm and hard to sleep on.
- An innerspring mattress does not last very long. It suffers from sagging and unevenness after several years of use. Usually, you will need to change it after 3 to 5 years if you want a good night’s sleep.
Pillow top mattress
Pros of pillow top mattress
- A mattress with a pillow top is very comfortable to sleep on. The combination of the softness of the pillow top with the firm mattress is the sweet spot for the majority of sleepers. There is a clear difference in comfort between a mattress with a pillow top and without. Once you get a pillow top, you will always want it.
- A pillow top conforms to your body shape and position. It almost feels like the bed is giving you a snug hug. Again, this adds to how comfortable a pillow top is.
Cons of pillow top mattress
- A pillow top is not very durable. As it comes directly under the pressure of your body every night, wear and tear is inevitable. What usually happens is that the pillow top gets thinner and thinner over time. After a couple of years, the comfortable effect may disappear because it is too thin. A way to combat this con is to get a thicker pillow top so that it can last longer.
Pros of waterbed mattress
- It is an enjoyable and relaxing experience. Jumping on a waterbed for the first time is an eye-opener. You really do feel like you are out at sea, right in your bedroom.
- A waterbed conforms to your body’s position. The fluidity of the water means it adapts almost instantaneously to any body movement.
Cons of waterbed mattress
- A waterbed offers little support to your spine and back. In general, at least 50% of sleepers will not find a waterbed good. You may wake up with an aching back until you get used to it. That may take weeks or even months.
- Finding sheets and a bedframe may be difficult. Some waterbeds do not follow standard sizes. As a result, you may need to customize fittings for it which will make it more expensive and less convenient.
- Once it develops a leak, the bed is done for. Waterbeds are made of vinyl which is a durable material. Over time, with wear and tear, there is a chance for the vinyl to peel off. Once this happens, you will need to replace the entire waterbed.
Pros of hybrid mattress
- The customizability of hybrid mattresses means you can choose the firmness level that you want. If you have an exact firmness that you like, a hybrid mattress would be the best choice. Comparatively, some mattress types like innerspring have only hard levels.
- It has good motion isolation. The different layers of a hybrid mattress mean it can absorb movements very well. It is an excellent bed for couples.
- Hybrid mattress provides good support for your spine and back. By combining foam and spring, you get the best of both worlds – support and comfort. This is why hybrids are so popular nowadays.
Cons of hybrid mattress
- Hybrid mattresses are expensive. They require more materials and workmanship than a single type mattress. You will find hybrid mattresses in the mid to premium tier brands. That being said, a good night’s sleep is worth much more.
- It can be quite heavy. If it is a permanent fixture, then it should not be a problem. However, if you need to move it for spring cleaning, it may be a two person job.
When should I replace my old mattress?
A good mattress is the key to having a good sleep. As your mattress gets older, it is inevitable that it will suffer from wear and tear. However, it can be hard to determine the exact moment for replacement because we gradually get used to the mattress. So here are some signs which may signal that it is time for a new one!
Is your mattress more than 8 years old? If so, there is a high chance that is it time for a change. Most mattresses can only be kept in the optimal condition for around 8 years. After that, it starts to degrade at a much faster pace. To make sure your mattress is in optimal shape, changing it every 8 years is recommended. If your mattress is cheaper, you may have to replace it after 3 to 5 years.
Does your mattress have a dent or sag? Once these physical changes in the structure of the mattress appear, it is a strong signal that it should be replaced. The sagginess will result in the mattress providing insufficient and incorrect support to your body while you sleep. Your sleep quality will drop. It is time to say goodbye to the old and hello to a new mattress.
Do you feel a difference in your sleep quality as your mattress grows older? If the answer is yes, it could mean that the layers in the mattress have become thinner. The comfort layer (eg. pillowtop) of your bed will degrade much faster because it comes into direct contact with your body weight. If it feels less comfortable and affects your night’s rest, consider changing up your mattress.
Do you wake up every morning with a sore and aching body? Sometimes, the type and firmness of your mattress may just not suit you. It could be too firm or too soft. Regardless of your mattress age, getting a new one is the only solution to sleep well.
Are your allergies or asthma getting worse? An old and dirty mattress could be the cause. A mattress is the favourite hiding place for dust mites and allergens, especially over a long period. To counteract this problem, frequent vacuuming is helpful. However, if your mattress is too old, the best solution is a new one.
Does your mattress squeak and creak? That could be a sign that the springs in your mattress are spoilt. Those springs are important in providing the right foundation for optimal support of your spine. You should consider replacing a squeaking mattress to get better support.
Thin vs thick mattress
What is the optimal thickness for a mattress? There is no one-size-fits-all answer. The right mattress thickness depends on several factors. The issue of a thick or thin mattress should also be in consideration of the type of mattress. Let’s delve into it – the thick or thin question.
Firstly, it depends on your weight. Imagine a 90kg man vs a 45 kg petite lady. There will definitely be differences in their preferred mattress thickness. Most of the time, a heavier person will be more comfortable on a thicker mattress. Conversely, a lighter person can choose a thinner mattress.
Next, do you need more support? If you do, go for a mattress that is thicker as it is more likely to be sturdy enough to give you that extra support boost.
Your mattress thickness also depends on your favourite sleeping position. If you like sleeping on your back, we recommend a thickness of at least 6 to 8 inches. For side sleepers, a mattress of 8 to 10 inches should work well. Front sleepers need a mattress that is at least 10 to 14 inches.
Again, we like to stress that mattress thickness is hugely dependent on each’s preference. Take these information as guidelines but if it differs from your own choice, trust what you like.
Should I get a firm or soft mattress?
Any common question when choosing a bed is whether to get a firm or soft mattress. There are pros and also cons for each extreme. Mattresses are rated on their firmness from a scale of 1 to 10, from soft to firm. What this means is that there is a pretty wide range of firmness or softness that you can choose from. You will definitely be able to find a perfect mattress firmness for you.
Before going into the pros and cons of a firm vs soft mattress, let’s explore the “universal comfort” mattress. It is a mattress that has a firmness rating of 5 to 7. If you don’t know what firmness you need or want, you can go for a universal comfort mattress as a safe choice. A vast majority of sleepers would be very comfortable on it.
Pros of a firm mattress
- A firm mattress will provide better support for back sleepers.
- Blood circulation is better as there is less pressure on your muscles and blood vessels.
- You’ll be able to breathe better as your lower back is kept in a steady position.
Cons of a firm mattress
- If you are switching from a soft to firm mattress, it may be uncomfortable for days or even weeks before you get used to it.
- If you suffer from back problems like arthritis, a firm mattress may cause pain and worsen your condition.
Pros of a soft mattress
- Soft mattresses are great if you are currently suffering from back pains and aches. If you have chronic back problems, a soft mattress will also alleviate the condition.
- If you sleep on your side, a soft mattress will be more suitable as it will provide comfortable support to your shoulders and hipbone.
Cons of a soft mattress
- If you sleep on your back, soft mattresses can cause backaches and pains as it does not provide the right support.
- Soft mattresses are also not suitable for those who are heavier. The heavier weight will make the sleeper sink in and get insufficient support as a result.
- A soft mattress is less durable than its firm counterpart. You will likely need to change it much sooner as its shape and support will wear out quicker.
Bed dimensions in Singapore
We are all familiar with bed size – King, Queen, Super Single and Single mattresses. However, did you know that a King sized bed in Singapore is of a different size than a King size bed in America? The actual dimensions are very different. This will pose a problem if you buy a mattress or bed frame from overseas without checking first. It would not fit, and you would waste hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Here are Singapore’s bed dimensions and sizes for you to refer to.
King size bed dimensions for Singapore
A king size bed is 183cm in width and 191cm in height (72 inches by 75 inches).
A king sized bed gives the feeling of luxury. You can roll around and it seems like you would never reach the end. In a practical sense, it is the best choice for couples – if your bedroom has the space to accommodate it. For newer HDBs and condominiums, you may find it a little tougher to squeeze a king sized bed into your room. Don’t forget you have to account for additional inches for your bed frame.
Queen size bed dimensions for Singapore
A queen size bed is 152cm in width and 191cm in height (60 inches by 75 inches).
If you stay in an apartment, a queen size bed would be perfect for a couple or a single who wants additional bed space. It offers a good balance between a spacious bed without crowding out the entire room. It will leave you with sufficient room for your wardrobe, dresser and even a side table. In Singapore, the queen size bed is more popular than the king size bed because of space constraints.
Super single size bed dimensions for Singapore
A super single bed is 106cm in width and 191cm in height (42 inches by 75 inches).
The super single bed offers 15cm more in width than the single sized bed. That extra 15cm gives you room to move around without fear of rolling off the edge of your bed. For bigger-size sleepers, this is a great alternative for extra bed space without splurging on a queen bed.
Single bed size dimensions for Singapore
A single bed is 91cm in width and 191cm in height (36 inches by 75 inches).
For most individual sleepers, a single bed size bed is good enough for a nice sleep. If you are average-sized, you shouldn’t have problem fitting comfortably into the 91cm width of the mattress.
How to take care of your mattress?
Flip and rotate your mattress, if your mattress allows for it. If your mattress has a “No Flipping Needed” tag, skip this step. Otherwise, flipping and rotating your mattress will be extremely useful as it can increase its lifespan. Flipping your mattress means changing the top to the bottom side. Rotating involves a 180 degrees turn which means your pillow will now be on the other end of the bed.
Do not jump on your mattress. While jumping on a bouncy object is really fun, it will damage the internal springs and structure of the mattress.
Do not fold or compress your mattress. Doing so will alter the mattress’ original support structure and will cause irreparable damage.
How to clean your mattress?
Every one of us spends about 8 hours of our day on our mattress. However, we don’t clean it regularly enough. Given the amount of time we use it, our mattress can get pretty dirty over time – it might be the nastiest thing in your entire home. Dust mites, dead skin, bacterias are just some of the dirty and unhygienic things lying on your precious mattress. Surely, you would want to get rid of them? Here is how.
Change your sheets on a regular basis – at least once a month if not more regularly. Your sheets are the first to come into contact with your skin. That means it is the dirtiest part of the bed.
You should vacuum your mattress every time you change your sheets. Dead skin and dust mites will be sucked up and there will be a less fertile breeding group for bacteria and germs.
If your mattress smells, baking soda can be a lifesaver. Apply a thin layer of baking soda to the top of your mattress. After 10 minutes, use a vacuum to clean it all up. Your bed should smell much fresher after this quick fix.
Another way to keep your mattress fresh and clean is by letting it breathe fresh air and sunlight. The best time for this is also when you change your sheets. Instead of immediately putting on a fresh pair of bedsheets, bring your mattress to a sunny spot in your house. Let it sit in the sunlight till the end of the day.
If you find cleaning your entire mattress a chore, try putting on a mattress protector. It will serve as the frontline defence for your mattress. It is much easier to wash a mattress protector in the washing machine than a deep clean of your mattress.