Setting up a functional kitchen in your home can be a stressful affair, especially if it is your first home. There are so many kitchen appliances, tools and cookware to buy but do you need every single one of them or can you do without some. This is why we have written this guide on every piece of kitchen equipment. Hopefully, it’ll be useful in helping you create your dream kitchen.
Equipping your home with kitchen appliances both big and small will help make cooking and even prep work more manageable. Here are the 21 essential kitchen appliances that will make cooking more enjoyable.
Ten years ago, no one even heard of air fryers. Right now, millions of home around in the world and Singapore have one. It works similar to a convection oven but has better air circulation. Here are some reasons why you should get an air fryer for your kitchen
- It makes healthier meals as it requires less or even no oil.
- You can cook almost anything in it, from meat to vegetables and….even cakes.
- Cooking a meal with an airfryer is fast and easy
- It takes up less countertop space than an oven.
Want to know more about air fryers? Check out our best air fryer guide!
Ovens have been a part of the kitchen for many decades. They are slightly less popular in Asian homes because we love stovetop cooking. However, having an oven at home opens up a world of cooking possibilities. Here is why you should get an oven.
- Oven-baked food is so much healthier than deep fried food.
- An oven is super versatile – almost any type of protein and vegetables can be baked in it.
- You can choose from built-in or countertop ovens depending on your preference.
Want to know more about ovens? Check out our oven buying guide!
If you are Asian, the rice cooker is probably the most commonly used appliance in your home. Somehow without rice, a meal does not feel complete. While you can cook rice on the stovetop, a rice cooker makes it much easier and hands-off. Here is why your home needs a rice cooker.
- Rice cooked in a rice cooker is so much fluffier and tastier compared to stovetops
- New rice cookers do not only cook rice – but you can also make soups, porridge, stews and even yoghurt
- You won’t burn your rice. There are preset settings and water lines to refer to. It makes cooking a nice bowl of rice so much simpler.
Are you looking to buy a rice cooker? Check out our article on the best rice cookers in Singapore!
A fridge is one of the first things you should get in your new kitchen, especially if you like to cook. The main point in choosing a refrigerator is to get one with sufficient capacity for your household. If you have a large household that cooks often, you may need to get a larger one. The other important aspect is to get a fridge with excellent energy efficiency, one that is at least 3 ticks and higher. First, let’s take a look at why you will definitely need a fridge.
- A fridge will help extend the shelf life of your food items.
- It will enable you to store ingredients so you can whip up a meal anytime.
- Enjoying an ice cold beverage in the hot Singapore weather feels like a million bucks.
If you are searching for a new fridge, check out our buying guide on fridges!
Every household may not need a stand-alone freezer. Honestly, because the average household size in Singapore is around 4, a regular fridge should serve you just fine. However, a freezer may be useful for larger families who require much more freezer space.
If you need help choosing a freezer, read our roundup article of the best freezers in Singapore.
A pressure cooker is an awesome addition to the time-starved families of Singapore. Through using intense pressure, you’ll be able to braise or cook food in a much faster time compared to other cooking methods. The modern pressure cookers nowadays are also much safer compared to the old-school models. Here are some reasons why a pressure cooker would be a great addition to your home.
- A pressure cooker is a real time-saver. You can get a nutritious meal in under 20 minutes.
- The modern pressure cooker does more than just pressure cook. You can make soups, cook rice, stews and much more.
- There are many automatic safety safeguards in modern pressure cookers. It is as safe as using a rice cooker.
Are you looking for a good pressure cooker? Check out our review on the all-new Philips multicooker. Another good alternative is the super popular Instant Pot! Also, we have a guide on the best pressure cookers in Singapore!
Slow cookers have been a staple in the kitchen for many years. The hands-off approach of it is its main appeal. Put in the ingredients, turn it on and let it work its magic. You don’t need to stir or even pay any attention to it, till it’s ready. While some slow cooker users have been converted to pressure cooker lovers, there are still some benefits of using one. Here they are!
- Meals cooked in a slow cooker are incredibly flavourful. Long hours of cooking means every part of the dish is infused with maximum flavour.
- You can cook cheaper cuts of meat and turn them into masterpieces.
- You can turn on the slow cooker before you leave for work and come home just in time for a warm, homemade meal.
If you love drinking coffee, you should strongly consider getting a coffee machine for your home. Sure, they may not seem as fancy as those coffees served at cafes, but they could taste as good at a fraction of the price. Here are a few reasons why a coffee machine for your home is a good idea.
- It will save you a lot of money in the long run. A coffee at Starbucks costs $6. Your coffee at home will cost a dollar or less even if good quality beans.
- There are many coffee machines that you can choose from. You can even get one similar to those at cafes – albeit in a smaller size.
- The process of brewing a cuppa is therapeutic. You’ll enjoy both the process and the cup of tasty coffee.
If you are looking for a coffee machine, here is our article on the best ones you can get!
If you like drinking fruit and vegetable juicers, getting a juicer for your home is a no-brainer. There are many juicers available in the market from expensive brands like Hurom to more value-for-money brands like Philips. You can definitely find one that fits your budget easily. Here is why getting a juicer for your home is a smart choice.
- Homemade juices are healthier than most store-bought juices. You can control what to put inside so you can do without unhealthy add-ons like sugar.
- It will save you so much money. Juices are expensive outside. If your family drinks juices regularly, you could save hundreds or even thousands a year.
- Having a juicer will push you to become more healthy as you consume more fruits and vitamins through juices.
If you are searching for a juicer, have a look at our in-depth article on the best juicers in Singapore!
If you cook regularly, a food processor is a must-have. It will make the preparation process so much quicker and easier. What is incredible is that you can get a decent food processor for slightly over $100 from a brand like Philips. So there’s no reason not to. Instead, here are some reasons why you need to get one.
- It takes the boring prep work and blitzes it all up within seconds. It will save you so much time in the kitchen.
- You can use it on almost anything – from nuts to chicken, to making a sauce and much more.
- It is much safer to use than using your knife to chop things up. Even a kid can be taught to use it safely.
Want to know which food processor to get? Read our comprehensive review on the best food processors!
Honestly, bread makers are not that popular in Singapore. We prefer to get our bread from bakeries or the supermarket. However, once you try a freshly baked loaf of bread, you may change your mind. Here are some reasons why you may want a bread maker.
- It is the simplest way to bake a loaf of bread. You don’t need to knead or look after it. You just have to put the ingredients in and let the bread maker do its thing.
- You can make almost any kind of bread in the bread maker – from dinner rolls, a regular loaf of sliced bread or even pizza.
- The smell of fresh bread in your home is truly amazing.
Perhaps you have changed your mind about bread makers? If so, do give our article on bread makers a read!
Gas or Induction Stove
Regardless of whether you decide to go with a gas or induction stove, it’ll be one of the most important appliances in your kitchen. If you cook regularly, a good stove will make cooking more enjoyable and also more efficient. Here are some differences between a gas and induction stove.
- A gas stove is a more economical option. You will save quite a bit if you cook regularly as it uses less energy.
- An induction stove is much more aesthetically pleasing. Additionally, it is much easier to clean up.
- You need special cookware for an induction stove. You can use almost any type of cookware on a gas stove.
Want to know which induction cooker or hobs is the best? Then check out our in-depth article on induction cookers in Singapore!
A toaster oven is a great alternative to the conventional oven. You may not be able to do as much with a toaster oven, but it offers decent flexibility as to what it can cook. Here are some pros to getting a toaster oven.
- It is much smaller than a regular oven. It will take up less space on the countertop, and you can even keep it away quickly.
- You can get a toaster oven for below $100. If you don’t mind lesser known brands, you may even be able to snag one for $50.
- It is more energy-efficient than an oven.
Boiling water is made so much simpler and safer with an electric kettle. Stovetops kettles are reliable but require too much attention and babysitting. Thankfully, you can get a good electric kettle for your home for less than $100. Additionally, most electric kettles are long-lasting, so once you buy one, you’ll be able to use it for a long time. Here is why you should get an electric kettle.
- An electric kettle makes boiling water safer. There are multiple fail-safe features. Also, some of them are insulated and are safe to touch.
- More modern electric kettles have different temperature presets. For example, you can select 85 degrees for a perfect cup of coffee.
- Electric kettles boil water fast, usually faster than their stovetop counterparts.
If you are thinking of getting one, check out our review on the best electric kettles in Singapore.
If you want quick food at home, a microwave will be an essential addition to your kitchen. A microwave not only heats up cooked food, but it also can cook up a quick meal if you know how to use it. Here are some reasons why you may need a microwave.
- It can heat up microwaveable meals within minutes. You can get a hot, warm meal any time of the day.
- A microwave can help you defrost frozen food much more quickly than leaving it out to thaw.
- You can even make a quick meal from scratch with a microwave — for example, a quick breakfast of scrambled eggs.
If you crave the convenience of a microwave, check out our guide on choosing the best microwave!